Hypertension, Arthritis, Diabetes, Osteoporosis; (Click each link to scroll to section)
The facts* are in: The right exercise program has statistically proven to lower the risk of high blood pressure, or hypertension. According to the ACSM*, even a single session of customized activity can provide an immediate, perceivable reduction in your blood pressure. Partnering with your physician, Austin Executive Fitness will review your baseline data (family history, fitness level, etc.) Following ACSM's "Rate of Perceived Exertion" guidelines, we'll engineer an intensity-appropriate program that closely monitors and reduces blood pressure. This powerful combination of cardio-(walking, running, or cycling) and resistance-based exercise helps prevent and lower the effects of this "silent killer". In addition to its hypertensive-reducing benefits, an ongoing, consistent exercise program benefits cholesterol imbalances. Our clients have boosted their high-density lipoprotein (HDL), or "good," cholesterol while decreasing low-density lipoprotein (LDL), or "bad," cholesterol. This one-two punch keeps blood flowing smoothly by lowering the buildup of plaques in arteries.
**American Academy of Health, Fitness and Rehab Professional Guidelines
While inflammatory (rheumatoid, spondylitis, and psoriatic) and mechanical arthritis (osteoarthritis) are notoriously painful and injurious to the joints, clear evidence exists of a halt in joint damage with early intervention.* Exercises focusing on good body mechanics can demonstrate a favorable and significant effect on pain. Following the guidelines of the Arthritis Foundation and partnering with arthritis physicians and therapists from major medical intuitions throughout Manhattan, we've designed a four-tiered program consisting of:
1. Flexibility-building techniques. Stretches muscles and fosters comfortable movement throughout the day.
2. Muscle strengtheners. Optimizes shock absorption, lower body strength and balance.
3. Cardiovascular exercises. Improves efficiency of heart and lungs for improved sleep, stress reduction and weight control.
4. Balance and proprioception training. Increases kinesthetic coordination and agility. In conjunction with a monitored diet (see Nutrition), these Austin Executive Fitness disease-modifying programs have had extraordinary results reducing our clients' pain, fatigue, and stiffness levels.
* Cush JJ: J Rheumatology Suppl. Nov 1 2007; 80: 1-7
**Rooks DS, et al. "Effect of preoperative exercise on measures of functional status in men and women undergoing total hip and knee arthroplasty." Arthritis Rheum. 2006 Oct 15;55(5):700-8.
The ADA has confirmed it: those with type 1 or type 2 diabetes mellitus can benefit significantly from a program of physical activity. And not just any physical activity: a carefully-monitored program vigorous enough to enhance muscle strength and cardiovascular function. Coordinating with your *American Academy of Health, Fitness and Rehab Professional Guidelines physician's recommendations for optimizing insulin levels, Austin Executive Fitness employs a "risk management" program of exercises designed to maintain safe blood glucose levels, control diet, and maximize cardiovascular efficiency. The results:
1. Increased cardio fitness and decreasing coronary artery risk
2. Increased muscle mass for more effective insulin usage
3. Lowered blood glucose levels achieved by burning glucose calories
4. Lower blood pressure
5. I mproved good HDL and lower LDL and triglycerides
6. Weight reduction and management
7. Reduced risk of diabetes-related coronary artery disease
*American Academy of Health, Fitness and Rehab Professional Guidelines
The prevention and treatment of osteoporosis is a focal point at Austin Executive Fitness. While potentially debilitating, the National Osteoporosis Foundation calls its namesake "beatable and treatable". We've opted to make its prevention and treatment a focal point of our expertise. Coordinating with your physician or physical therapist, we've integrated protocols which are the key components for the management of osteoporosis:
1. Improve or maintain safe ambulatory and/or weight bearing status
2. Improve overall functional capacity & Activities of Daily Living (ADL)
3. Improve ROM and strength in all extremities to functional levels
4. Maintain or improve bone mass Just as there are protocols to implement, others need to be avoided: high impact activities and excessive trunk flexion and rotation are potentially harmful and contraindicated. In conjunction with nutritional counseling, this multi-faceted approach can gradually alter your ex ercise blueprint, increasing both physical and mental stamina.